Government of India has introduced the Startup India initiative for developing conducive surroundings for startups in India. The initiative has been launched with the aid of the Prime Minister on January 16, 2016. Various Ministries of the Government of India have commenced some of the activities for the reason.
There are distinctive components of the policy. First of all, there’s a clear-cut definition of a startup. Secondly, there is an Action Plan for a startup which provides different institutional preparations for a guide of startups. Procedure for obtaining a startup license is elaborately mentioned. The function of incubators, angel price range, and mission capital price range also are illustrated underneath the Action Plan. Thirdly, there are the tax incentives for startups and fourthly, the authorities have mounted several funds with its own money for extending economic guide to startups.
Startup indicates an entity, organized or registered in India not antecedent to seven years, with an annual turnover not exceeding Rs 25 crore in any preceding fiscal year, operating toward innovation, development, deployment or commercialization of latest products, strategies or services pushed through the era or highbrow property. According to the startup coverage, following criteria ought to be fulfilled by means of a registered entity to be qualified as a startup:
- Not prior to seven years, but, for Biotechnology Startups now not prior to ten years,
- With annual turnover now not exceeding Rs 25 crore in any previous financial year, and
- Working in the direction of innovation, development or development of products or processes, or services, or if it’s miles a scalable enterprise model with a high capability of employment era or wealth introduction
The entity ought to not be formed by splitting up, or the reconstruction, of an enterprise already in lifestyles. Once registered, the entity will give up to be a startup if its turnover for the previous financial years has surpassed Rs 25 crore or it has finished 7 years and for biotechnology startups 10 years from the date of incorporation/ registration.
Documents to be submitted through a startup
The utility for startup need to be submitted to DIPP with any of the following documents:
- A recommendation from any Incubators mounted in a postgraduate college in India or country governments or central authorities. Or
- A letter of funding of no longer less than 20 in line with cent in equity with the aid of any Incubation Fund, /Angel Fund/Private Equity Fund/Accelerator/Angel Network duly registered with SEBI.
- A letter of investment by means of the Government of India or any State Government as part of any targeted scheme to promote innovation; or
- A patent filed and published within the Journal with the aid of the Indian Patent Office in regions affiliated with the nature of the enterprise being promoted.
Support for the Startup Action Plan
The Startup Action Plan declared by using the Government on 16th January 2016 launched several supporting measures for startups inclusive of simplifying current laws for startups.
Environment laws: In the case of environmental legal guidelines, Startups which fall below the ‘white class’ would be capable of self-certify compliance and simplest random exams might be achieved in such cases.
Fast-monitoring of patent programs may also be made for startups. Startups will be supplied an eighty% rebate inside the submitting of patents vis-a-vis different groups. Similarly, rapid tracking of IP/patent packages might be made for startups.
Exemption from exertions laws: Startups will be allowed to self-certify compliance with nine labor and surroundings laws. In the case of the labor, legal guidelines, no inspections will be performed for a duration of three years. Startups may be inspected on receipt of credible and verifiable complaints of the violation, filed in writing and accepted with the aid of at least one stage senior to the examining officer.
Incubators: Incubators may begin on the PPP model. The Funding pattern of incubators could be modeled on the idea of Atal Innovation Mission.
Tax exemption: To entice more price range, the exemption shall be given to humans who’ve capital gains at some stage in the year, in the event that they have invested such capital gains in the Fund of Funds diagnosed by the Government. This will increase the price range to be had to various VCs/AIFs for investment in Startups.
In addition, current capital benefits tax exemption for funding in newly formed production MSMEs via people shall be prolonged to all Startups
Funding help of 40% (difficulty to a maximum of INR 10 crore) will be furnished through Central Government for status quo of new incubators for which 40% investment by means of the respective State Government and 20% funding with the aid of the non-public entity.